Monday, November 2, 2015

November, brought to you by Coffee

I've obviously gone nuts because not only am I doing NaNoWriMo after swearing not to, but I'm also posting two blogs a day for some reason (at least for right now), one of which features my cringeworthy NaNo writing with no editing whatsoever, AND I'm in the midst of my busiest craft season all year. Plus, I just remembered tomorrow is voting day. And bills need to be paid. And . . . looking at my to-do list for the next 6 weeks is giving me bouts of panic.

But I'm already committed to all of it, so what is there to do but take a deep breath and gulp a big slurp of coffee. Coffee is perfect for panic, right?



Speaking of coffee, the one year I actually finished NaNoWriMo, I mostly drank homemade mochas. The next year, I graduated to Red Bull but didn't finish. Last year I was so busy in the months leading up to it, I think I slept for most of November. Maybe coffee is the key. Maybe it's the drink I dubbed NaNoWriMocha that year.

Can writers have superstitions like professional athletes before the big game?

Let's find out shall we.

Here's my recipe for NaNoWriMocha, originally posted by me on my old blog, and adapted from Nadia G's Bitchin' Kitchen and Hershey recipes.

The NaNoWriMocha

2 Tbs. - Hershey's Cocoa, Special Dark Blend
2 Tbs. - Brown Sugar (or more)
3/4-1 Cup - Milk or Cream or combination
4 Servings brewed espresso*

In a small pot over, medium heat, whisk together cocoa, brown sugar, and milk/cream. Keep whisking until hot, but not simmering, and all the dry ingredients are absorbed (there should be no granules of cocoa or sugar). Pour into a large mug. Pour brewed espresso into same mug (should be a50/50 mix). Stir to combine. Enjoy!

*I'm actually not sure on this measurement. My carafe just has a four on it but looks like it could be 1/2C-1C....I should probably measure this. But the hot chocolate to espresso ratio is really 50/50, if there isn't enough espresso, top off with strong coffee.


Yeah, my November will totally be fueled by The NaNoWriMocha or else I won't know how to make it through. As a back-up I have a bottle of wine and a bottle of vodka chilled at all times. What's your NANoWriMo drink of choice?