Sunday, November 1, 2015

Officially Throwing My Hat

Maybe you remember this, or this, or this, or even this because I certainly don't and as NaNoWriMo approached I asked the age old question


I finally came down on the side of: Yes, of course I should nano! How silly that I should question it in the first place, lol. How silly, silly, silly, silly, silly of me to ever question the All Great and Powerful NaNoWriMo. . . must . . . write . . . 50,000 words . . . now. . . . Join . . .Us. . .

I knew it would happen because it happens every year. I create my novel, I write some words, and then I write no more. November and December get swept up in the great Craft of Christmas and writing doesn't re-emerge until January. But this year will be different, I'm determined. I'm charged up. And I'm totally ready to take a second attempt at The Horrorphiles.

This time it's less of a Short story collection and more of a novella. One of the things that gummed me up last time was thinking about managing multiple pov's, which isn't something I'm good at or even want to do. This time I'm focusing one storyline and not aiming for a novel.

Of course, I will be writing the 50K words that is the NaNoWriMo challenge but I'm pretty sure, after revisions, that The Horrophiles will be a novella. That certainly takes some pressure off. And if it ends up longer or some multiple pov's slip in, then that's fine and I will consider it during revisions but I'm not going to worry about it right now, Day One, at the very beginning.

Additionally, I will be posting my daily words on the blog, as was my original intention back in July, as well as trying to keep up with some regular non-nano posts. Bonus: I will be sending out regular updates, questions, quips and struggles mostly on Twitter but occasionally on Facebook too, so be sure to follow me and keep up on all my quibbles.

Finally, do you know The Horrorphiles was actually inspired by another work? Haunted: A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk is probably one of the most disturbing books I've ever read, to the point that while I was captivated, curious, and intrigued, I returned the book to the library unfinished. And while I'd very much like to get to the end and maybe even write a full review I don't know if I can stomach it. Do not be fooled by the seemingly light-hearted Amazon description, the narrators are all unreliable, the stories they tell are so subtly disturbing they defy description, and the aggressively masculine style of writing is like . . . getting punched in the brain with every word. Read with caution.

Anyway, as it is Day 1 of NaNoWriMo, I shall be posting again, later tonight, my brand new opening for The Horrorphiles. Make sure to read it and let me know what you think!