Monday, April 4, 2016

The End of The Horrorphiles

You may have already noticed that my Horrorphiles posts have, for all intents and purposes, stopped. This is partly because I was unhappy with where my ending was going and partly because I couldn't think of any other decent titles when The Horrorphiles no longer fit.

I kept trying to push myself through to some conclusion for the first draft but my mind kept resisting, putting up walls at every turn, barely generating any words, and eventually sputtering out completely.

Finally, I decided I just had to go back to the beginning. Well, the end of the beginning. Back to the point just before Ronny wakes from her coma. I remembered that near the beginning of NaNoWriMo, I kind of thought The Horrorphiles might become some kind of Choose Your Own Adventure book, because I kept writing alternative scenes with different outcomes.
Eventually that idea fell to the wayside but I returned to it recently and started to imagine alternative scenarios, different reactions Ronny could have to the events around her, and how it all could coalesce into a different ending.

Then, like all my best ideas, all the solutions hit me at once. Seriously! A better title, a better ending, a better storyline. And just like that I knew that finally the daring experiment I started in November had come to it's end.

I will no longer be posting first draft episodes of The Horrorphiles because, for the most part, The Horrorphiles is dead.

Long live The Horrorphiles!.

Instead, I've begun The Horrorphile, aka The Horrorphiles 2.0 since it's a revision and not a whole new novel.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. Most of my first drafts end before a full conclusion is reached and I have to write a second draft/revision to truly get to "The End".

Anyway, it's been fun. Nerve wracking and strange, but also fun. I don't know if I will do this sort of thing again at the next NaNoWriMo. Right now I don't even know if I will accept the challenge of NaNoWriMo 2016, but I'm still glad that I was able to share my first draft this way. I hope all its mistakes, asides, and poorly constructed sentences helped you guys by taking away some of the anxiety associated with writing a "bad" first draft. Everyone's first draft is awful in one way or another. Just start writing,

Now that that's out of the way, I really hope to have my finished, final copy of The Horrorphile available by the end of 2016. In the meantime, be sure to follow me on Twitter or Facebook or keep watching this space for updates about the revisions, brand new excerpts, and an actual launch date.


Not sure what The Horrorphiles is? Been waiting for The End before you started reading it? Now's your chance to find out what all the fuss is about! Start Here.