Thursday, September 1, 2016

Something Different for Today: Through the Spiderweb Door

Back when I was planning the content for my YouTube channel, I knew I wanted to do writing videos eventually but I wasn't sure what exactly they would entail. I didn't think on it too much because I knew I would be trying to get a lot of art projects done and I knew those would be the videos I'd be making first. However, as we are moving ever so swiftly into fall, I keep wanting and needing to write. I don't know if it's something ingrained from years of school starting in the fall or some strange natural rhythm I have where I do most of my writing from September to December but that's the way it seems to go for me every year. When I went out this morning and wasn't immediately mugged by humidity, I know it was that time again. Autumn = Writing.

I've had short story idea that's been bouncing in my head this week. I also needed to post a video today. So, I thought I'd try something different. Instead of offering tips or making a vlog about writing, I'd make a process video the same way I would with an art journal page or, lately, canvases. I know writing isn't as visually dramatic as a painting or collage but I do take blank paper and creatively alter it with ink, so why not try out the same video process?

Making this video has given me a chance to try out one option for a writing-centric video long before NaNoWriMo in November, when I will definitely be consumed with my writing activities, doing little, if anything, else, and all my content on all my platforms will be writing related. Remember, The Horrophiles? All fiction, all the time with long stretches of inflated angst and so many thousands of words a day. It's coming up again, I'm already thinking about what I might write, how to share it, and what video content to accompany it. This process video is just one of those ideas.


In the end, I wrote for just over two hours. I don't know how many words I wrote since my Moleskin cahier doesn't calculate that for me, lol. For the video, I sped the action to four times the original pace and cut out any fussing, like adjusting the blankets, and distractions like channel surfing and playing with office supplies. I'm pretty sure that I've got the beginning of "Through the Spiderweb Door" finished. Next, I'll proceed to some middle action where Jocelyn meets the invisible voices and Dariham. I'm not sure if I'll be sharing the rough draft or any more videos in this process video style for this particular story.

I am not sure how entertaining or informative the video is but I've been in such a funk creatively lately that it's easier to work on anything if I let myself do what I want to do, instead of trying to force another project. Today I wanted to write. Write I did. I feel much better, like I can breathe deeper. I'm sure Il' be back to my regularly scheduled programming, another art journal process video, by Saturday.

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what kind of writing videos you might like to see in the comment section below :D