Tuesday, November 1, 2016

NaNoWriMo 2016: Day 1 - Gotta Fuel it Write!

Welcome to Day 1 of NaNoWrimo and Goddamnit I'm sick! Seriously. I felt great last night but this morning I feel like the living dead. It's only a head cold so far but it's the kind that somehow makes it difficult think or move but not enough for a fever or stuffy nose/. Ah, well, still...Let's get this party started!

During NaNoWriMo, I drink a lot. In general and of everything. I drink a lot of coffee, I drink a lot of water, and I drink a lot of wine. Some might say I do this anyway, no matter the month. To that I say


Actual image from NaNoWriMo 2015. I believe it was a Tuesday. At 2pm.
AAAAALLLLL THE DRINKS!
If you've been following me for awhile, you've already heard of my NaNoWriMocha. It's deliciously dark and strong mocha I make from home and I swear by it. As in, it's not really NaNo without it and obviously I write better after a nice big cup of the stuff. For those of you who don't like links, here's the recipe:

The NaNoWriMocha

2 Tbs. - Hershey's Cocoa, Special Dark Blend
2 Tbs. - Brown Sugar (or more)
3/4-1 Cup - Milk or Cream or combination
4 Servings brewed espresso*

In a small pot over, medium heat, whisk together cocoa, brown sugar, and milk/cream. Keep whisking until hot, but not simmering, and all the dry ingredients are absorbed (there should be no granules of cocoa or sugar). Pour into a large mug. Pour brewed espresso into same mug (should be a50/50 mix). Stir to combine. Enjoy!

*I'm actually not sure on this measurement. My carafe just has a four on it but looks like it could be 1/2C-1C....I should probably measure this. But the hot chocolate to espresso ratio is really 50/50, if there isn't enough espresso, top off with strong coffee.



Having said that, any coffee will do as longs it's strong, dark, and extra caffeinated. But that's not the only thing that gets me through.

WATER! Did you think I would say wine next? We'll get to that soon in the meantime....water! One of the most important way to get through NaNoWriMo is remembering that you're human. Lack of sleep, skipping meals, and overdosing on coffee can make you feel like a crazed, caged wild animal but remembering to drink plenty of water is an easy step. Fill up your cup while you're waiting for you coffee to brew. Drink it then fill it up again. Coffee takes so long to brew. Anyway, remember to drink your water!


Wine. Wine. Wine. Wine! Wine! Wine! Wine! Wine! WINE! WINE! WINE!!
Favorite wine. Favorite mental block buster.

Wine, beer, liquor is a treat not a necessity. Even if I really like it, I can't live on wine alone and too much makes any writing impossible.  I use wine to make writing an event, especially on tough writing days. For example, if I've spent all day only typing 100 words and just struggling at my desk, then I break out some wine, change locals, and start on some sprints or word wars. It's like I'm taking my novel on a date: a few drinks, exotic locales like the other side of my room, and fun activities. It's fun and gets the words flowing.

Wine can work as a reward too. On days where I have to play catch up or throw up big numbers, I invent different rewards for different word count goals. I wrote 500 words? I can mess around on Twitter. Wrote 1600 words? I can update my NaNoWriMo stats. Did I write something like 3-6K? It's wine time!


What are you drinking this NaNoWriMo? Right now, I'm drinking tea. Because that's what I do when I'm sick. Drown the germs in tea. And words. It's November though, we're all drowning in words.